play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
chevron_left
volume_up
chevron_left
  • cover play_arrow

    Rother Radio (128k) Love Local, Love Music!

  • cover play_arrow

    Rother Radio (64K) Love Local, Love Music!

  • cover play_arrow

    Hit Music Radio (128K) More Music Variety!

  • cover play_arrow

    Hit Music Radio (64K) The Best Variety of Hits!

UK News

‘A beautiful day’: Extinction Rebellion trio cleared and Insulate Britain protesters released from jail

today14/01/2022

Background
share close

Extinction Rebellion activists who were cleared over a 2019 protest said they feel “vindicated” by the jury’s decision, while an Insulate Britain campaigner also shared her joy at being released from prison today.

Reverend Sue Parfitt, 79, Father Martin Newell, 54, and former university lecturer Philip Kingston, 85, were acquitted at Inner London Crown Court of obstructing the railway following their Extinction Rebellion protest at Shadwell Station on 17 October.

Mr Kingston superglued his hand to a Docklands Light Railway (DLR) train, while Rev Parfitt and Father Newell climbed on the roof and said prayers for the planet just before 7am.

Father Martin Newell and Reverend Sue Parfitt pictured outside the Inner London Crown Court today
Image: Father Martin Newell and Reverend Sue Parfitt pictured outside the Inner London Crown Court today

Speaking outside the court on Friday, Reverend Parfitt said she felt the verdict showed the protest had been “the right thing to do”.

She said: “It’s wonderful that the jury saw the bigger picture, that the court has vindicated our action, and we hope it in some small way inspires others to feel that there may be sacrifices to be made, perhaps particularly by people of faith.”

Father Newell also said he would risk going to prison in the future, adding: “I’m not sure that disrupting public transport is the right thing to do at this point, but in terms of would I risk going to prison? Absolutely.”

It comes after a string of convictions were also overturned last year at the Old Bailey, after a judge urged the Crown Prosecution Service to review its response to protesters’ appeals against convictions for obstructing a highway in light of a Supreme Court ruling in June.

More on Extinction Rebellion

‘This is a beautiful day’

Ecologist Emma Smart (left) and retired GP Dr Diana Warner outside HMP Bronzefield, in Surrey, following their release from the prison where Emma undertook a 26-day hunger strike during her incarceration. Ms Smart was sentenced in November, along with other members of Insulate Britain, to serve four months for breaking a High Court injunction by taking part in a blockade at junction 25 of the M25 motorway during the morning rush hour on October 8, 2021. Picture date: Friday January 14, 2022.
Image: Emma Smart and retired GP Dr Diana Warner were released from HMP Bronzefield, in Surrey, today

Meanwhile, Insulate Britain campaigner Emma Smart, who carried out a hunger strike while in prison shared her relief as she was released from HMP Bronzefield in Surrey shortly after 9.40am this morning.

She said: “This is amazing. This is a beautiful day. It is lovely to have the sun on me – I’ve not had it on me for a few weeks.”

Ms Smart, along with nine others, was jailed last year for breaching a government injunction that prevented the campaign group from protesting on the roads and causing long traffic jams.

Dr Diana Warner, a retired GP, was also released from the same prison today.

And four other members, including architect James Thomas, carpenter Oliver Rock, warehouse operator Roman Paluch, and volunteer Tim Speers were also released from HMP Thameside in southeast London today.

The group called for the government to introduce policy and funding for a national home insulation programme, starting with all social housing.

 Sky News

© Sky News 2021

Written by: Rother Radio News


Previous post

World News

Man trying to cross Channel dies in sub-zero conditions after going overboard

A manslaughter investigation is under way in France after a migrant died in sub-zero conditions while trying to cross the English Channel.The Sudanese man was pulled from the water unconscious after going overboard in the early hours of Friday as he and others attempted to reach the UK. Aged in his 20s, he was declared dead after being taken back to shore by French rescue teams. Image: Rescued migrants were […]

today14/01/2022