play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
chevron_left
volume_up
chevron_left
  • cover play_arrow

    Rother Radio (128k) Love Local, Love Music!

  • cover play_arrow

    Rother Radio (64K) Love Local, Love Music!

  • cover play_arrow

    Hit Music Radio (128K) More Music Variety!

  • cover play_arrow

    Hit Music Radio (64K) The Best Variety of Hits!

World News

Peng Shuai tells Olympics boss she is safe and well in video call

today21/11/2021

Background
share close

Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai, believed to have been missing for nearly three weeks, has held a video call with the president of the International Olympic Committee.

In the 30-minute call, she told Thomas Bach that she was safe and well.

“She explained that she is safe and well, living at her home in Beijing, but would like to have her privacy respected at this time,” the IOC said in a statement.

Peng Shuai talking to IOC President Thomas Bach
Image: Peng Shuai talking to IOC President Thomas Bach

“That is why she prefers to spend her time with friends and family right now. Nevertheless, she will continue to be involved in tennis, the sport she loves so much.”

Emma Terho, chair of the IOC Athletes’ Commission, was also on the call.

She said: “I was relieved to see that Peng Shuai was doing fine, which was our main concern. She appeared to be relaxed. I offered her our support and to stay in touch at any time of her convenience, which she obviously appreciated.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Missing Peng Shuai seen at tennis final

Video of Peng at a youth tournament emerged on Sunday morning, and video purporting to show her in a restaurant with friends was released by Chinese state media yesterday.

More on China

She had not been seen or heard from publicly since she said on social media on 2 November that former vice premier Zhang Gaoli had coerced her into having sex.

Despite the new photos, a spokesperson for the UK’s Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office earlier said the government remained “extremely concerned” and was following the case closely.

The FCO had previously called for “verifiable evidence” the former Wimbledon doubles champion was safe.

Peng had also been shown in footage at a tennis tournament for youngsters on Sunday morning, and having dinner with her coach and friends in Beijing.

When Sky News went to the restaurant, a waitress told Asia Correspondent Tom Cheshire that Peng was at the eatery, but she didn’t personally see her.

A visit to the tennis centre where the player was seen on social media yielded similar results.

The Woman’s Tennis Association has called for more information about Peng.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Sky reporter visits places where Peng Shuai was last seen

In response to the restaurant footage, CEO Steve Simon said: “While it is positive to see her, it remains unclear if she is free and able to make decisions and take actions on her own, without coercion or external interference. This video alone is insufficient.

“As I have stated from the beginning, I remain concerned about Peng Shuai’s health and safety and that the allegation of sexual assault is being censored and swept under the rug.”

 Sky News

© Sky News 2021

Written by: Rother Radio News


Previous post

World News

Hundreds forced to leave homes on Vulcano island due to potential lethal gases amid volcanic activity

Hundreds of people on the island of Vulcano, north of Sicily, are being told they cannot stay in their homes overnight due to potentially lethal gases in the area amid a build-up of volcanic activity.Around 300 people are having to find alternative accommodation where they can sleep from 11pm to 6am, starting on Monday, say authorities. And the island, which gave volcanoes their name, will be off limits for tourists […]

today21/11/2021