play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
chevron_left
volume_up
chevron_left
  • cover play_arrow

    Rother Radio (128k) Love Local, Love Music!

  • cover play_arrow

    Rother Radio (64K) Love Local, Love Music!

  • cover play_arrow

    Hit Music Radio (128K) More Music Variety!

  • cover play_arrow

    Hit Music Radio (64K) The Best Variety of Hits!

World News

Norway bow and arrow attacks that killed five ‘appears to be act of terrorism’, country’s security agency says

today14/10/2021

Background
share close

The killings of five people in Norway by a man armed with a bow and arrows “appears to be an act of terrorism”, the country’s security agency has said.

Four women and one man were killed during the rampage in Kongsberg, with a police officer among others left injured.

A statement issued by PST, Norway’s security service, said: “The incidents in Kongsberg appear at the moment to be an act of terrorism, but the investigation, which is led by the South-East police district, will clarify in more detail what the incidents were motivated by.”

It said the terrorism threat in Norway had not changed from “moderate”.

“At the same time, PST is working to investigate whether what has happened could inspire others to commit serious acts of violence, in the form of follow-up actions, revenge actions and more,” the statement said, before adding that the service “does not have currently have information that that is the case”.

“The accused in the case is known to PST from before, without PST being able to provide further details about him,” it said.

The attacker managed to get away from officers who initially confronted him after firing arrows at them. A 37-year-old Danish man was arrested around half an hour later at 6.47pm local time.

More on Kongsberg Attacks

Police believe all the killings happened during that period. They say the suspect had previously been identified as showing signs of radicalisation and will now be assessed by forensic psychiatric experts.

Prosecutor Ann Iren Svane Matthiassen said he had admitted carrying out the attack.

Senior officers say the suspect had been convicted several times in the past, and was the subject of a six-month restraining order against two close family members last year after he threatened to kill one of them.

He also had convictions for burglary and for possession of small amounts of cannabis in 2012.

A number of Wednesday’s victims were in the town centre’s Coop Extra supermarket when they were attacked.

Kongsberg, a small town of around 26,000 inhabitants, is situated about 41 miles southwest of Oslo.

Local officials said anyone who needed support would be welcome at the town’s main church.

 Sky News

© Sky News 2021

Written by: Rother Radio News


Previous post

UK News

Raab urged to act over children’s prison where inmates ‘at serious risk of harm’

Justice Secretary Dominic Raab has been urged to take urgent action over a privately-run children's prison where an inspection found the young inmates "at serious risk of harm".Oakhill Secure Training Centre in Milton Keynes is run by the company G4S and houses up to 80 young offenders aged from 12 to 17. The damning report noted "widespread failings" and highlighted very high use of force, frequent violence, and the safeguarding […]

today14/10/2021