play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
chevron_left
volume_up
chevron_left
  • cover play_arrow

    Rother Radio (128k) Love Local, Love Music!

  • cover play_arrow

    Rother Radio (64K) Love Local, Love Music!

  • cover play_arrow

    Hit Music Radio (128K) More Music Variety!

  • cover play_arrow

    Hit Music Radio (64K) The Best Variety of Hits!

World News

100-year-old former Nazi camp guard goes on trial in Germany over 3,518 deaths

today07/10/2021

Background
share close

A 100-year-old former SS guard has gone on trial to face charges of helping to send more than 3,500 people to their deaths at a Nazi concentration camp during the Second World War.

The suspect, identified only as Josef S in keeping with German privacy rules, hobbled into the courtroom in Neuruppin, near Berlin, on a walking frame with his face partially covered by a blue folder held by his lawyer.

Prosecutors say the suspect, a member of the Nazi party’s paramilitary SS, contributed to the deaths of 3,518 people at the Sachsenhausen concentration camp near Berlin between 1942 and 1945.

The suspect did not want to comment on the allegations made against him, according to his lawyer, Stefan Waterkamp.

A 100-year-old former security guard of the Sachsenhausen concentration camp has his face covered by his lawyer, Stefan Waterkamp, as he appears in the courtroom before his trial at the Landgericht Neuruppin court in Brandenburg, Germany, October 7, 2021. REUTERS/Annegret Hilse
Image: Josef S is accused of being an accessory to murder at Sachsenhausen concentration camp during the Second World War

Despite his old age, doctors have said he is partially fit to stand trial, but advised sessions to be limited to just two and a half hours each day.

The court heard that more than 200,000 people were held at Sachsenhausen between 1936 and 1945 – with tens of thousands dying through medical experiments as well as systematic SS extermination operations including shootings, hangings and gassing.

Others died of starvation, disease, forced labour and other causes.

More on Germany

Prosecutor Cyrill Klement told the court: “The defendant knowingly and willingly aided and abetted this at least by conscientiously performing guard duty, which was seamlessly integrated into the killing system.”

The exact number of people who died in the concentration camp is unknown, with upper estimates of around 100,000.

However, some scholars suggest figures of 40,000 to 50,000 are likely to be more accurate.

Leon Schwarzbaum, a 100-year-old survivor of Sachsenhausen, attended the trial as a visitor.

“This is the last trial for my friends, acquaintances and my loved ones, who were murdered, in which the last guilty person can still be sentenced – hopefully,” he told dpa news agency.

A 100-year-old former security guard of the Sachsenhausen concentration camp appears in the courtroom before his trial at the Landgericht Neuruppin court in Brandenburg, Germany, October 7, 2021. REUTERS/Annegret Hilse
Image: The suspect covered his face with a file as the trial began

Some inmates at Sachsenhausen were killed with Zyklon-B, the poison gas also used in other extermination camps where millions of Jews were killed in the Holocaust.

The concentration camp housed predominantly political prisoners from all over Europe, along with Soviet prisoners of war and some Jews.

The opening of the trial comes after a spate of charges brought against former concentration camp guards in recent years for World War Two crimes against humanity.

Last week, a 96-year-old former secretary for the Stutthof camp’s SS commander skipped the opening of her trial at the Itzehoe state court in northern Germany.

She was tracked down within hours and proceedings are set to resume on 19 October.

 Sky News

© Sky News 2021

Written by: Rother Radio News


Previous post

Local News

Sheffield dancer Devon in Geordie Shore party house for very different new series

Geordie Shore spiced things up with their new series inviting hot singles to the famous party house who are looking for love.The cast will have to work to build genuine connections with each other to avoid the weekly eliminations. The first episode aired on Tuesday and Sheffield dancer, Devon Nathaniel Reid was one of many to enter the Geordie pad. For the latest TV and celebrity news, click here On […]

today07/10/2021