play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
chevron_left
volume_up
chevron_left
  • cover play_arrow

    Rother Radio (128k) Love Local, Love Music!

  • cover play_arrow

    Rother Radio (64K) Love Local, Love Music!

  • cover play_arrow

    Hit Music Radio (128K) More Music Variety!

  • cover play_arrow

    Hit Music Radio (64K) The Best Variety of Hits!

World News

More than 1,200 Afghans eligible for UK didn’t make evacuation flights, defence secretary says

today21/09/2021

Background
share close

More than 1,200 people – made up of hundreds of Afghan interpreters and their families – remain in Afghanistan as they were unable to get an evacuation flight out, the defence secretary has revealed.

Ben Wallace said there are 260 interpreters who worked for the British and were security checked, but never made it onto flights out of Afghanistan after the withdrawal of troops on 30 August.

“There are 260 principles left in Afghanistan – that’s 1,232 people if you include their families,” he told the House of Commons.

People struggle to reach the foreign forces to show their credentials to flee the country outside the Hamid Karzai International Airport, in Kabul, Afghanistan. Pic: Akhter Gulfam/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock
Image: People were queuing outside Kabul Airport but many were unable to get in

Mr Wallace said the Ministry of Defence (MoD) believes there are 900 further “credible cases” still in the country who could be eligible for the Afghan Relocations and Assistance Policy (ARAP).

Previously, the government said it was unsure exactly how many had not made it onto evacuation flights after about 15,000 people were airlifted out of Kabul by the UK.

The defence secretary added that 43 interpreters had managed to get to third countries, with a total of 163 people when including their families.

There are eight translators the MoD has been unable to establish communication with “despite numerous times of trying”, he said.

More on Afghanistan

Mr Wallace was answering an urgent question after it was revealed more than 250 interpreters who remain in Afghanistan were sent an email on Monday night in which all their email addresses could be seen.

It is feared they could be identified and targeted by the Taliban as a result.

He apologised for the mistake and said the person responsible for sending the “weekly catch-up” email, who he confirmed works for the MoD, had been suspended.

Members of the UK Armed Forces continue to take part in the evacuation of entitled personnel from Kabul airport, in Kabul, Afghanistan August 19-22. LPhot Ben Shread/UK MOD Crown copyright
Image: There are about 900 more eligible Afghans who were not evacuated. Pic: Ben Shread/UK MOD Crown copyright

The defence secretary said: “To say I was angered by this was an understatement and I immediately directed investigations take place.”

He said it was a weekly catch-up email sent to those still in Afghanistan and it was “immediately recalled on identification of the breach” and an email sent advising people to delete the email and change their addresses, “many of whom have done”.

“It was a mass email, it didn’t contain their home addresses or anything. The photo profiles were ones that were in the profiles of the email addresses,” he said.

“Having looked at the email addresses, the vast majority weren’t specific names necessarily. That doesn’t change the fundamental impact that could have had and still could do.”

A member of Border Force staff assists a female evacuee as refugees arrive from Afghanistan at Heathrow Airport. Pic: AP
Image: About 15,000 Afghan refugees were successfully evacuated to the UK. Pic: AP

He said he has “instigated changes to improve information security” within the MoD and armed forces minister James Heappey is currently in the region speaking to neighbouring countries “to see what more we can do”.

The ARAP scheme will continue to operate and bring people back to the UK “for however many are eligible and however long it takes”, he added.

 Sky News

© Sky News 2021

Written by: Rother Radio News


Previous post

UK News

Boost for shoppers as major carbon dioxide supplier to restart production after government talks

The government has reached agreement with CF Industries to restart carbon dioxide production at its UK sites following talks between the company and Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng.The US firm said last week that it had stopped work at its fertiliser plants at Billingham on Teesside and Ince in Cheshire because of a surge in gas prices.That prompted a crisis in the food industry because the CO2 which is a by-product […]

today21/09/2021