play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
chevron_left
volume_up
chevron_left
  • cover play_arrow

    Rother Radio (128k) Love Local, Love Music!

  • cover play_arrow

    Rother Radio (64K) Love Local, Love Music!

  • cover play_arrow

    Hit Music Radio (128K) More Music Variety!

  • cover play_arrow

    Hit Music Radio (64K) The Best Variety of Hits!

Local News

Police make arrests after fights break out with ugly scenes in Doncaster after St Leger Festival

today13/09/2021

Background
share close

Police arrested multiple people as racegoers descended on Doncaster for the annual St Leger meeting.

Throughout the four day festival held last week there were tears, tantrums and fights as thousands descended on the town centre after St Leger day.

The big races attracted some of the wildest celebrations on Friday and Saturday night.

For the latest Doncaster news and stories, click here

There was a heavy police presence both at the racecourse and the town centre as scuffles broke out as and a number of arrests were made.

In one incident several men were seen fighting in the street and a man on the ground could be seen being kicked by two others as a woman and friends tried to intervene.

South Yorkshire Police said that they arrested a total of two people in Doncaster throughout the festival.

Enter your postcode to see crimes reported in your area

However, they say that the festival itself passed “without incident”.

Supt Cherie Buttle, event commander for this year’s festival said: “The St Leger festival is always a fantastic and much-anticipated event in Doncaster. Even more so than usual this year, after the disruption in 2020.

“I am pleased to say that it passed without incident. Officers were on the ground every day to ensure people were able to enjoy the festival safely, which they did..

“We hope everyone who attended had a great time, and look forward to welcoming people back next year!”

Download the YorkshireLive app to customise the news that matters to you and get the latest updates first.

Written by: Rother Radio News


Previous post

UK News

COVID-19 vaccine invites for 12 to 15-year-olds will start being sent out next week

The government has accepted the recommendation from the UK's chief medical officers that children aged 12 to 15 should be offered a first dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech coronavirus vaccine and invitations will start being sent out next week.Making the announcement in the Commons, Vaccines Minister Nadhim Zahawi said: "We will now move with the same sense of urgency we've had at every point in our vaccination programme." Health Secretary Sajid Javid said: "I have accepted the recommendation from the Chief […]

today13/09/2021