play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
chevron_left
volume_up
chevron_left
  • cover play_arrow

    Rother Radio (128k) Love Local, Love Music!

  • cover play_arrow

    Rother Radio (64K) Love Local, Love Music!

  • cover play_arrow

    Hit Music Radio (128K) More Music Variety!

  • cover play_arrow

    Hit Music Radio (64K) The Best Variety of Hits!

Entertainment News

Johnny Rotten loses High Court battle to stop Sex Pistols songs being used in new TV series

today23/08/2021

Background
share close

Former Sex Pistols frontman Johnny Rotten has lost a High Court battle with his ex-bandmates to stop the band’s music being used in a new TV show about the group.

The punk group’s former drummer Paul Cook and guitarist Steve Jones had been wanting to use the music – but Rotten (real name John Lydon) had opposed the move.

In a court ruling handed down by the High Court on Monday, Sir Anthony Mann found Mr Cook and Mr Jones were entitled to involve “majority voting rules” against their bandmate.

The six-part series is based on Jones’ memoir and directed by Danny Boyle, is due to be released next year by Disney.

Mr Jones and Mr Cook argued that under the terms of a band member agreement made in 1998, decisions regarding licensing requests can be determined on a “majority rules basis”.

But Mr Lydon, who has said he thinks the series is the “most disrespectful shit I’ve ever had to endure”, argued that licences cannot be granted without his consent.

His lawyers told the court the agreement had not been used and he considers it a “nuclear button” for the claimants to “impose their wishes” on him.

More from Ents & Arts

They said he had a “deep-felt and passionate aversion to becoming a ‘prisoner’ of a hostile majority” and in his evidence to the court, Mr Lydon said the agreement “smacks of some kind of slave labour”.

Lawyers acting for Mr Cook and Mr Jones argued that Mr Lydon breached the agreement by refusing to consent.

 Sky News

© Sky News 2021

Written by: Rother Radio News


Previous post

World News

UK’s Afghanistan evacuation effort ‘down to hours, not weeks’, defence secretary says

The UK's evacuation effort in Afghanistan is "down to hours now, not weeks", the defence secretary has said.Ben Wallace conceded the UK's involvement will end when the US leaves the country, which is expected to be on 31 August. "The prime minister is, obviously at the G7, going to try and raise the prospect of seeing if the United States will extend," he said on a visit to Port George, […]

today23/08/2021