play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
chevron_left
volume_up
chevron_left
  • cover play_arrow

    Rother Radio (128k) Love Local, Love Music!

  • cover play_arrow

    Rother Radio (64K) Love Local, Love Music!

  • cover play_arrow

    Hit Music Radio (128K) More Music Variety!

  • cover play_arrow

    Hit Music Radio (64K) The Best Variety of Hits!

Business News

Nando’s plans to reopen sites from Saturday after supply chain disruption forces closures

today18/08/2021

Background
share close

Nando’s says it plans to have all its restaurants open again from Saturday after supply chain disruption forced 45 sites to close.

The peri-peri chicken brand, which operates around 400 outlets across the country, has also “hit pause on delivery for now” according to a message on its website.

It is the latest household name business to be hit by supply chain disruption and comes as a major poultry supplier separately told Sky News that Brexit had left its workforce “severely depleted”.

Nando's website delivery suspended
Image: Nando’s website told customers that deliveries were paused

Details of the Nando’s closures first emerged on social media as customers complained about their local restaurants being shut.

The company responded that “the UK supply chain is having a bit of a ‘mare right now” though sites in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland have not been affected.

It said in a statement on Wednesday: “The UK food industry has been experiencing disruption across its supply chain in recent weeks due to staff shortages and a number of our restaurants have been impacted.”

Nando’s has seconded some of its staff to help suppliers and said this had “already had a positive impact on affected restaurants”.

More from Business

“From this Saturday, it is our intention that all of our restaurants will be open again,” the company added.

Nando’s did not publish a full list of restaurants that have closed saying details were continually changing.

A bag of KFC chicken in London. The new storage hub at the centre of KFC's chicken delivery problems has not yet been granted the registration it legally requires to operate, the local council has confirmed.
Image: KFC was affected by similar issues

But it did respond to queries about individual sites from customers on social media, disclosing that sites in Chelmsford, Showcase Nottingham, and Cribbs Mall in Bristol were among those experiencing disruption.

The closures come after rival KFC revealed last week that it was facing similar problems, warning that some items would not be available and packaging “may look a bit different to normal”.

Supply chains have come under strain in recent weeks with the haulage industry complaining of a shortage of 100,000 drivers – partly blamed on Brexit and exacerbated by a spate of workers being forced to isolate when alerted by the NHS COVID app.

Supermarkets were also affected by the so-called “pingdemic”, resulting in empty shelves in some store, though the issue seems to have abated after the app was tweaked to ensure fewer contacts of those infected were ordered to stay at home.

Avara Foods, a chicken and turkey supplier which says it serves some of the biggest supermarkets and restaurants in the country, blamed its current problems firmly on Brexit.

The company told Sky News in a statement: “Our company is not currently experiencing any significant inconvenience regarding the ‘pingdemic’.

“Colleague isolations, relative to our size, are low.

“Our concern is recruitment and filling vacancies when the UK workforce has been severely depleted as a result of Brexit; this is causing stress on UK supply chains in multiple sectors.

“Labour availability is an issue totally separate to the pandemic, and one which has the potential to affect UK foods manufacturing for a lot longer.”

 Sky News

© Sky News 2021

Written by: Rother Radio News


Previous post

World News

Formula 1 boss Nathalie Maillet killed in ‘double murder-suicide’

The world of motorsport has paid tribute to Nathalie Maillet, an ex-race car driver and the chief executive of Belgium's Spa-Francorchamps track, who has died aged 61.According to Belgian reports, Maillet and another woman were shot by her husband Franz Dubois in a double murder-suicide on Sunday in the region of Gouvy. A police statement said the "lifeless" bodies of two women and a man were discovered with gunshot wounds. […]

today18/08/2021


Similar posts