play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
chevron_left
volume_up
chevron_left
  • cover play_arrow

    Rother Radio (128k) Love Local, Love Music!

  • cover play_arrow

    Rother Radio (64K) Love Local, Love Music!

  • cover play_arrow

    Hit Music Radio (128K) More Music Variety!

  • cover play_arrow

    Hit Music Radio (64K) The Best Variety of Hits!

UK News

Murray out of singles and Peaty through to final

today25/07/2021

Background
share close

Andy Murray’s bid for a third straight Olympic men’s singles gold medal has ended after he withdrew ahead of his first match because of a thigh strain.

The 34-year-old tennis star had been due to take on ninth seed Felix Auger-Aliassime of Canada today, but was replaced on the order of play by Australian Max Purcell.

However, he will continue to compete for Team GB in the men’s doubles tournament with Joe Salisbury.

Murray said: “I am really disappointed at having to withdraw but the medical staff have advised me against playing in both events, so I have made the difficult decision to withdraw from the singles and focus on playing doubles with Joe.”

It comes as officials confirmed there had been 10 more confirmed new coronavirus infections, including two athletes, at Tokyo 2020, taking the total number of cases to 137 since 1 July.

Meanwhile, American golfer Bryson DeChambeau tested positive for COVID-19 before his departure for the Games and will be replaced in the US men’s golf team by Patrick Reed, USA Golf said.

DeChambeau said: “I am deeply disappointed not to be able to compete in the Olympics for Team USA.

More on Andy Murray

“Representing my country means the world to me and it is was a tremendous honour to make this team. I wish Team USA the best of luck next week in Tokyo.

“I will now focus on getting healthy, and I look forward to returning to competition once I am cleared to do so.”

 Sky News

© Sky News 2021

Written by: Rother Radio News


Previous post

World News

Belgium devastated by flooding for second time in just over a week

Belgium has been hit by floods for the second time in just over a week.The provinces of Namur and Walloon Brabant southeast of the capital city Brussels were among the worst hit, after thunderstorms and heavy rain reached the country on Saturday.[embedded content] In Dinant, in the Walloon region, heavy rainfall washed away cars, leaving them strewn across the town.Deputy mayor Robert Closset said no deaths or injuries had been […]

today25/07/2021