play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
chevron_left
volume_up
chevron_left
  • cover play_arrow

    Rother Radio (128k) Love Local, Love Music!

  • cover play_arrow

    Rother Radio (64K) Love Local, Love Music!

  • cover play_arrow

    Hit Music Radio (128K) More Music Variety!

  • cover play_arrow

    Hit Music Radio (64K) The Best Variety of Hits!

UK News

‘Incomprehensible’: Anger as Liverpool stripped of UNESCO World Heritage status

today21/07/2021

Background
share close

The city of Liverpool has lost its world heritage status after development projects were found to be “detrimental to the site’s authenticity and integrity”.

A United Nations committee made the decision following concerns that the new Everton football stadium and other developments posed a risk to the waterfront area.

The World Heritage Committee said the projects had caused “irreversible loss of attributes conveying the outstanding universal value of the property”.

File photo dated 5/6/2021 of the view across the River Mersey just before the sun rises behind the Liverpool waterfront. The city has been deleted from the World Heritage List after a United Nations committee found developments including the new Everton FC stadium threatened the value of the city's waterfront. Issue date: Wednesday July 21, 2021.
Image: Plans for the historic waterfront area have been criticised by the World Heritage Committee

Plans for Everton‘s new £500m stadium were approved earlier this year despite objections from the International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS), acting on behalf of the United Nations Education Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), the Victorian Society and Historic England.

A report considered by the committee found that the approved planning application for the stadium in Bramley-Moore Dock was “directly contrary to the approach requested by the committee for this property”.

Liverpool mayor Joanne Anderson called the decision “incomprehensible”.

More on Liverpool

“I’m hugely disappointed and concerned by this decision to delete Liverpool’s world heritage status, which comes a decade after UNESCO last visited the city to see it with their own eyes,” she said.

“Our world heritage site has never been in better condition having benefitted from hundreds of millions of pounds of investment across dozens of listed buildings and the public realm.”

She accused the committee of wanting the waterfront area to “remain a derelict wasteland”.

Steve Rotheram, mayor of the wider Liverpool region, said the move was “a retrograde step that does not reflect the reality of what is happening on the ground”.

File photo dated 22/4/2020 of the waterfront in Liverpool. The city has been deleted from the World Heritage List after a United Nations committee found developments including the new Everton FC stadium threatened the value of the city's waterfront. Issue date: Wednesday July 21, 2021.
Image: A new Everton football stadium is one of the developments planned by the waterfront

Liverpool has been on the List of World Heritage in Danger since 2012, when the committee decided the Liverpool Waters development, planned for the city’s northern docks, was a potential danger to the site.

The city gained its place on the UNESCO list in 2004, alongside sites such as India’s Taj Mahal, Egypt’s pyramids and Canterbury Cathedral.

Representatives from 21 countries on the World Heritage Committee voted in a secret ballot on Wednesday after members had been unable to reach a consensus on whether to keep the city on the list.

Of the 20 votes cast, 13 had been in favour of deleting the city, five had been against the proposal and two ballot papers had been invalid.

Liverpool City Council said £700m had been spent on upgrading historic assets within the site in the past few years and a further £800m was due to be spent in the next five years, including on Everton’s move from Goodison Park to the dock area.

 Sky News

© Sky News 2021

Written by: Rother Radio News


Previous post

Business News

Pent-up demand for summer outfits delivers sales surge for Next

Shoppers' pent-up demand for summer outfits has helped fashion retailer Next smash sales targets and lift its profit forecast.A staycation boost to UK consumer spending and the build-up of savings during lockdowns were also given as key factors behind the success. Shares in the group surged higher as it reported an 18.6% rise in full-price sales for the 11 weeks to 17 July compared with 2019 levels. Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player Gap struggles to […]

today21/07/2021