play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
chevron_left
volume_up
chevron_left
  • cover play_arrow

    Rother Radio (128k) Love Local, Love Music!

  • cover play_arrow

    Rother Radio (64K) Love Local, Love Music!

  • cover play_arrow

    Hit Music Radio (128K) More Music Variety!

  • cover play_arrow

    Hit Music Radio (64K) The Best Variety of Hits!

Local News

New date set for Lord Ahmed trial over allegations of child abuse

today20/07/2021

Background
share close

A new trial date has been set for former Labour peer Lord Ahmed over allegations of child sex abuse after the Court of Appeal ruled criminal proceedings against him should continue.

Nazir Ahmed, who was Lord Ahmed of Rotherham before he resigned from the House of Lords, went on trial at Sheffield Crown Court earlier this year accused of sexually abusing a younger boy and girl when he was a teenager in the early 1970s.

Judge Jeremy Richardson QC halted the trial in February, but the Court of Appeal announced in June that it had overturned that ruling and that proceedings should continue.

READ MORE: Woman, 18, sexually assaulted in early morning attack as police tape off road near Blackmoorfoot Reservoir

At a hearing at Sheffield Crown Court today, July 20, it was decided that a new trial date would be set for Tuesday, November 16 this year.

It is anticipated that the trial will last three to four weeks.

Judge Richardson originally stopped a previous trial ruling that criminal proceedings relating to Lord Ahmed should be halted, saying the way evidence was disclosed to his defence team was “disgraceful” and had “sabotaged” his trial.

Enter your postcode to see crimes reported in your area

Ahmed, 63, stood trial at Sheffield Crown Court after denying two counts of attempting to rape a girl under 16, indecent assault of a boy under 14 and raping a boy under 16, all said to have occurred in the early 1970s.

His brothers Mohammed Farouq, 70 and Mohammed Tariq, 65, also from Rotherham, were accused of indecent assault of a boy under 14, but were deemed unfit to plead and faced a trial of the facts during the same proceedings.

Download the YorkshireLive app to customise the news that matters to you and get the latest updates first.

Written by: Rother Radio News


Previous post

UK News

Raab says EU ‘seeks to undermine UK’s sovereignty’ over Gibraltar with new negotiating proposals

Dominic Raab has attacked the European Commission's proposals on how the UK and Spain should negotiate the future of Gibraltar.The foreign secretary said the commission's draft mandate "directly conflicts" with the framework previously agreed between the EU, UK, Spain and Gibraltar earlier this year. And he claimed it "seeks to undermine the UK's sovereignty" over the British overseas territory, which is geographically connected to the Spanish mainland.Earlier on Tuesday, the […]

today20/07/2021