play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
chevron_left
volume_up
chevron_left
  • cover play_arrow

    Rother Radio (128k) Love Local, Love Music!

  • cover play_arrow

    Rother Radio (64K) Love Local, Love Music!

  • cover play_arrow

    Hit Music Radio (128K) More Music Variety!

  • cover play_arrow

    Hit Music Radio (64K) The Best Variety of Hits!

World News

Four bodies found as ‘most destructive fire’ in island’s history sweeps across Cyprus

today04/07/2021

Background
share close

Four bodies have been found in a fire-ravaged mountain village in Cyprus during what a government minister has called “the most destructive” blaze in the island’s history.

Interior Minister Nicos Nouris said Civil Defence volunteers discovered the bodies just outside the village of Odou on the southern edge of the Troodos mountain range.

Authorities believe the bodies belong to four Egyptian labourers who went missing on Saturday evening.

Mr Nouris said he has informed the Egyptian ambassador to Cyprus and arrangements will be made to repatriate the remains.

He continued: “We are experiencing the most destructive fire since the founding of the Cyprus republic in both material damage, but also unfortunately in terms of human lives.”

President Nicos Anastasiades called the fire “an unprecedented tragedy”.

Mr Nouris said Greek and Israeli aircraft will join 11 other planes and helicopters in firefighting efforts later on Sunday.

More on Cyprus

Burned out houses have been found in Ora village on Troodos mountain
Image: Burned out houses have been found in Ora village on Troodos mountain

The blaze, which began on Saturday afternoon, forced the evacuation of at least eight mountain villages, destroyed several homes, and has so far scorched more than 20 square miles (50 sq km) of pine forest and orchards, according to Cyprus’ environment ministry.

Residents who have seen their homes go up in flames have vented their anger at what they call the authorities’ slow response to battling the blaze.

Mr Nouris said firefighting aircraft and ground crews are focusing their efforts on two massive fronts between the villages of Odou and Vavatsinia. He said authorities are “cautiously optimistic” that they will make progress in beating back the flames.

Mr Anastasiades, who is touring the fire-hit villages, said the blaze is “partially contained”, but the fear is that the flames could intensify again if strong winds reappear later in the day.

Mr Nouris said 36 people who had been evacuated from their homes have been taken to hotels in the capital, Nicosia, while food and water is being supplied to Melini village residents.

The fire has swept across the village of Ora
Image: The fire has swept across the village of Ora

The blaze forced the Cypriot government to request firefighting aircraft from fellow European Union member countries and neighbouring Israel.

Fire department officials said the entire department has been mobilised to fight the blaze, with off-duty staff being called back into service.

Around 70 fire engines, seven bulldozers and 10 water tankers have been brought in. Many volunteers also rushed to help fire crews.

A pair of helicopters from two military bases Britain maintains in Cyprus have been assisting since the fire’s outbreak.

Helicopters have been dropping water on the fire
Image: Helicopters have been dropping water on the fire

Two Greek Canadair CL-415 aircraft arrived in Cyprus to help. One had to turn back because of a technical fault, but was replaced by another.

Two Israeli planes have also been dispatched, while authorities are awaiting confirmation about the arrival of two Italian aircraft.

Police said a 67-year-old man faces arson charges. A court ordered that he remains in custody for eight days to assist in the investigation into the cause of the fire.

Mr Anastasiades urged citizens to be on the lookout for “those who cause such destruction either carelessly or deliberately”.

 Sky News

© Sky News 2021

Written by: Rother Radio News


Previous post

World News

Terror threat to Britain will grow if West neglects Afghanistan, ex-spymaster warns

The threat to the UK from terrorist groups like al Qaeda will grow if allies turn their back on Afghanistan after troops withdraw, Sir Alex Younger, the ex-head of MI6, has warned.The former spy chief said it would be an "enormous mistake" to neglect the country as happened back in 1989 when a previous intervention by the then Soviet Union ended. Sir Alex, a veteran of the fight against terrorism […]

today04/07/2021