play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
chevron_left
volume_up
chevron_left
  • cover play_arrow

    Rother Radio (128k) Love Local, Love Music!

  • cover play_arrow

    Rother Radio (64K) Love Local, Love Music!

  • cover play_arrow

    Hit Music Radio (128K) More Music Variety!

  • cover play_arrow

    Hit Music Radio (64K) The Best Variety of Hits!

Local News

Mayhem at funeral as mourners light flares and drive at pedestrians

today05/05/2021

Background
share close

Police are on the hunt for a number of drivers who recklessly drove on pavements, blocked junctions and caused mayhem during a funeral to celebrate the lives of two men killed in a horror crash.

On Wednesday, April 28, mourners came together to remember Jordan ‘Codeye’ Caster, 19, and Tyrone Forde, 22, who died after the car they were in careered off the M1 on Easter Sunday.

A vibrant funeral procession saw flares lit and people hanging out of the windows of cars as the procession made its way from Bolsover in Derbyshire, through Parsons Cross, to Shiregreen Cemetery in Sheffield.

To get the latest email updates from South Yorkshire Live, click here .

The 21-mile journey took place over three hours between 10am and 1pm.

However, en route, a number of vehicles, including high performance sports cars which had been hired specifically for the funeral, were found to be blocking junctions, driving into oncoming traffic and cutting across roundabouts.

Passengers were seen hanging out of car windows, with drivers also terrorising pedestrians by travelling along pavements.

Sergeant Matt Duffy, of South Yorkshire Police, said: “This funeral was a result of a tragic accident which sadly cost two young men their lives. People were there that day to pay their respects and commemorate the lives of their loved ones.

Jordan ‘Codeye’ Caster (left) and Tyrone Forde (right) were killed in a crash on the M1

“However, the manner of driving demonstrated by a handful of those attending meant that they not only posed a risk to themselves, but to other members of the procession and members of the public on route.

“Our call handlers received a number of calls from people reporting instances of dangerous driving and concerns for the welfare of other road users.

“Our job is to reduce road accidents and educate drivers how to drive safely, and we are now appealing for information as part of this inquiry.”

Enter your postcode to see local issues near you

Traffic officers for the force are now appealing for anyone with dashcam or CCTV footage to get in touch.

Sgt Duffy added: “If anyone has any dash cam or CCTV footage of the vehicles being driven anti-socially or dangerously last Thursday in Derbyshire, or in Sheffield, please contact us.”

Anyone with information should ring police on 101 quoting incident number 100 of April 28. You can also send footage to enquiries@southyorks.pnn.police.uk.

Written by: Rother Radio News


Previous post

UK News

Man Utd manager says club owners apologised to him over Super League plans

Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says he has received a personal apology from Manchester United's owners over the controversial plans to set up a breakaway European Super League.This is despite Avram Glazer, whose family has a majority stake in the club, refusing to say sorry for United's involvement in the aborted competition when approached by Sky News US correspondent Sally Lockwood this week. Solskjaer says he has a "good relationship" with the American family and believes the owners do listen to […]

today05/05/2021